Home

Monday, July 11, 2011

KUCKS of Brooklyn, NY

While traveling from Wilmington, NC back to Topsail Beach last month, I stopped at an intriguing spot called, Baker Street Curiosity Shop, appropriately named since it was exactly that - my curiosity - which led me to stop there!  I took my time perusing the two-level property, filled with a plethara of furniture, antiques, and other "curious" items, and, although there were many fascinating articles, I didn't see the one thing that I was hoping for - photographs.  So, before I left, I decided to ask the lady up front if she had, or ever got any.  At first, she told me that she didn't, but then she thought about it and began to tell me about a some boxes that she needed to "get to".  I explained to her a bit about myself, my blog, and the genea-blogging world, and told her about how the Web is being used to share "orphan" photos, with the hopes of getting them back into the hands of family members.  Then, she told me to wait a second, and she came out with two large envelopes.  She told me to feel free to dig through them, as she hadn't had a chance yet, and so I did.  It turns out that these envelopes were filled with miscellaneous items that had come along with a bulk purchase from an estate sale.  As I pilfered through the contents, I found several things that might be of interest, but decided to spend my money on three items that seemed most likely to be of value to a family member or descendant, if they could be found.


Pictures and postcard found together.  Click to enlarge.

I was intrigued mostly by the picture of the young lady.  At first, I thought she appeared to (perhaps) be of mixed-race.  I still wonder, but I'm not sure.  But, anyway, that was what most attracted me to her photo, given my discoveries about my own family history.  Unfortunately, there is no identifying information on the back of either photo, but the names and locations of the photography studios are clearly printed on the front of both of these cabinet-card photos.

Photo 1: Adult Female - Main St Photographer W J Tompkins Castile, N.Y. (This photo has 75 cents written in pencil in the upper right hand corner on the back, as if maybe someone had tried to sell it in a yardsale.)

Photo 2: Adult Male - BOLTON, 508 High Street, MILLVILLE, N.J.

Postcard Front: Approach to Fish Cove Inn   Southampton, Long Island, N.Y.
Addressed to Miss Anna Kucks  131 Highland B'lv'd  Brooklyn, N.Y.
Transcription: (Postmarked Southampton N.Y. Jul 24, 1942 - 7 pm.)

Dear Aunt Annie and Jack:
     We are having a fine time out here.  This view is the one that we had at first but we moved to a different location.
     Both of us are very happy.  Hoping that you had a good time last Saturday.
                       Love, Eva and Artj (This is my best guess at the signature.)

A quick check of Ancestry. com took me right to the recipient of this postcard.  In 1930, 42 year-old Anna Kucks is shown as the head of household and owner of her home at 131 Highland Boulevard in Brooklyn. She is a widow, and has another widow, Hattie Brenkerhoff, living with her.  (Both are listed as HOH, but Anna is noted to be the owner, and Hattie, an insurance clerk, is a renter.)  Anna was born in New York, but both her parents were born in Germany, which indicates to me that she is most likely the same Anna Kucks shown in the 1900, 1910 and 1920 Census as the daughter of Peter Kucks, and sister of Louisa, Mamie, Mary, and four others whose names are unknown to me.  In 1910, Peter's70 year-old brother, Henry, was also living with the family. (Peter was already widowed by 1900.)  According to the 1910 Census, Peter immigrated to the United States in 1860.

My guess is that the senders of the postcard may have just gotten married on the previous Saturday, and were possibly on their honeymoon.  Also, I strongly believe that this KUCKS family is probably the same family which had previously gone by the KUSSLER/KESSLER surname.

At this point, that is all of the research I've done on this family.  I may in my "spare" time, come back and add more findings.  If you are a descendant of this family, please contact me via this blog, or by emailing me at yarsan@aol.com.

Renate



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing!
    Welcome to the Geneabloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories" and family sagas
    and "Back to the Homeplace" and "The Homeplace Revisited"
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner
    http://www.examiner.com/x-58285-Ozarks-Cultural-Heritage-Examiner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bill. Thanks for the welcome. This is Renate (Nadasue) of Into the LIGHT (www.justthinking130.blogspot.com). I'm already with Geneabloggers, but I'll take that welcome, anyway!
    I hope you'll RT my posts when you see them on Twitter, so that the information can get out to as many folks as possible. Thanks, in advance and thanks for stopping by!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly hope you find someone from the family to share them with. Maybe to a post on the surname message board with a link to this page. Good Luck!
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Theresa! That's a wonderful idea! I'll do that asap!

    Renate

    ReplyDelete